Friday, April 8, 2011

First Two Weeks of School and So much more

Now begins the random blogs that mention fun things:

First of all, a quote from one of the local students 'what we do here in SantaFe with friends is go to have a coke and talk about anything'. This is very true. As opposed to us and the Europeans going to have coffee `tomar un café,' here they go 'tomar una Coca'.

The first two weeks of school went fantastically well! Most of the first lessons were introductions where I presented info on either myself or university life in the states, and they asked me questions. Since I am answering questions truthfully and fairly, I have had some interesting interactions.

For example, one student asked me "What do Americans think of Argentinians?" I said that we don't really think that much about them, but I gave a good reason. We haven't had very significant connections with Argentina, we don't have cultural imports from there, and we don't have much immigration from there either. Everyone seemed to take the answer well. I hope I can answer questions this well all the time.

Teaching will be interesting, since in some courses I am preparing lessons on parts of American history. It's fun because it helps me review. Plus, I can use my nerdy Poli. Sci. knowledge to tell them that the Civil War wasn't just about slavery.

Something that is a really big difference here also is that they don't pay for undergraduate studies. However, it can take them 5 or 6 years to finish it normally and longer if they have to work.

Other interesting things to mention:

Stray dogs are everywhere. I think there are as many strays as there are pets. Also, sometimes they can just waltz right into a bar and sit under your table, and no one does anything. At least they are nice for the most part.

Every time I need to pay for something, I feel like I am playing Monopoly. No one ever has change, and it occasionally causes stress. Never take change for granted!

That's is for now. Plus, salsa night on Saturday was fantastic!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home